The project is now complete and BMT staff have been volunteering with the local community.
These projects provide additional support to the communities connected by the new bridge. The group was split into two teams:
1. An education program support team:
- To work on the interiors of the classroom
- Assist the teachers with lessons
2. A health program support team:
- To conduct health examinations for the students of the two primary schools (300 over both schools)
- The main health campaign aims were: hand washing, tooth brushing, height and weight measurement, eyesight checks, mouth and teeth checks
The team was also present to witness the opening ceremony of the bridge, which was attended by Peter French who commented "Being able to make a difference to the quality of life of the local people in Desa Mekarjaya and Desa Sukaresmi is extremely rewarding and we’re incredibly proud of what has been achieved."
The bridge will not only provide much easier access to public amenities such as schools, food markets and medical facilities, it will support economic development helping people get to work and transport produce across the river.
The project has been a collaboration between the local community, Yayasan Relawan Kampung Indonesia’, BMT and local authorities. It has also received support from AkzoNobel Marine Coatings, the producer of International Paint, who has generously donated all of the paints required to ensure the bridge is protected from corrosion and provided their expert guidance on how to apply it.